As Filter Photo is dedicated to serving and supporting the contemporary photography community, all exhibition proposals should relate to photography, photographic materials, or lens-based artwork. This definition is purposefully open-ended; moving-image work, installations, and performances related to photography may all be included in proposals. Artists, curators, and collectives are all welcome to submit proposals. For example, a single artist could submit a proposal for a solo show, or a collective could submit a proposal for a large group show.
We recommend that you make use of the gallery floor plan in developing your proposal and include any layout plans in your proposal narrative. This is especially true for proposals that include site-specific installations and multimedia elements. Please include any proposed programming to your proposal such as artist talks, performances, etc if you see them as relevant to your proposed exhibition.
Applicants must provide the following materials and pay a submission fee of $25:
- A proposal narrative describing the exhibition/curatorial statement and related programming (500 words max).
- A brief bio for the applicant(s) and, if possible, for all the proposed artists.
- A CV for the applicant(s).
- 10-12 sample images. These should be in JPEG format, sized 1000 pixels on the longest side, and titled by last name, initial of first name, and image number (e.g. DoeJ1.jpg). Images should be of artworks intended for exhibition, but a small number of prior installation images may be included if the applicant thinks they may be helpful to the review panel.
- Links to videos and other multimedia content, no more than 5 minutes in length (if applicable)
In order to defray exhibition costs, Filter Photo offers a small stipend to accepted applicants. This amount is calculated based on recommendations by the Working Artists and the Greater Economy organization (W.A.G.E.), scaled to match Filter Photo’s budget.
As a small nonprofit with an annual budget of significantly less than the required $500,000, Filter Photo cannot meet W.A.G.E.’s recommendations for a base level stipend. Nevertheless, Filter Photo strongly supports W.A.G.E.’s initiatives and believes that it does well to support the spirit of the organization’s effort. Filter Photo looks forward to increasing this amount as the organization grows. Sample stipends are listed below, exact amounts are subject to change based on Filter Photo's operating budget.
- Solo Exhibition: $350
- Two-Person Exhibition: $175 each
- Group Exhibition (3-4 Artists): $90 each
If you have questions, please send an email to email@example.com.